Scott & Sunny

Scott & Sunny

Saturday, August 25, 2007

I want a whisky drink, then a vodka drink, then a cider drink ...

Scott is still in hospital and I have no real news to report which is frustrating and making me very mad.
He nearly went for a whole day without getting a fever, he did have a spike of 102.6 last night this was probably a side effect from the fungus medicine though. This morning too was going well until his cheeks started going red about 10am, his temp isnt high, it is 100.5 and has remained that way for 4 hours, no spike, but no cooling down either. 100.5 is classified as a fever in pediatric oncology.
He is having a very nasty 'tummy' side effect from all the drugs and is currently being tested for all manner of GI problems.
I am still chasing them up regarding the mono but not getting any answers. I am getting very irritated but trying my best not to start yelling at anyone. This morning the doctor came when I was in the shower, you'd think he would come back and talk to me wouldnt you? Oh no, he went bloody home!!!!!! I wasnt having any of that and whilst he didnt actually return to the hospital he did call me. I got the "oh he looks great, bloodwork is fine, you'll be out of here in a few days" line. The fact that he sleeps for 22 hours a day, he hasnt eaten anything apart from 3 gummi frogs and 3 doritos since Saturday, he hasnt had a drink, he doesnt even have the energy to talk, doesnt seem to be of any concern to them and also, grrrrrrr, they think Im crazy because I ask too many questions and get my knickers in such a twist.
No bacterial growths either, yet still he is being given a very potent anti bacterial drug. I dont believe that this is a good thing at all, many children become immune to it and then the problem is if they really need it further down the road it wont work.
Damn Im fizzing.
Last night I got talking to this lovely lady, her son has down syndrome and also had leukemia, they went for their end of treatment visit 2 weeks ago, a day that should have been a celebration, a day when maybe they could start to put this nightmare behind them, well it wasnt to be, instead they were told he had relapsed. He also has developed septis and has gone for surgery today to have his old port removed and a new one fitted, the old one became infected.
So maybe I should just shut up and be thankful that we aint walking in her shoes today.
But it isnt easy seeing your baby too weak to talk, to stand, to eat, and to not know why.
Im off to make some more delicious and wholesome coffee, with no added growth hormones. Oh and speaking of coffee, thank you Susan, I love you. :)

No comments: