Scott & Sunny

Scott & Sunny

Saturday, October 18, 2008

This has been a very long day. I'll try to sum up things, but be forewarned I'll likely ramble a bit here. I'm probably also missing some things about today, but it is all a bit of a blur at the moment.

Scott's fever just would not abate through the night again, even with loads of drugs. It just keeps coming back. He also has been breathing shallow, as he tends to do so to fight from coughing. This prompted one of the nurses to check the O2 level in his blood. It was down below 90, so she summoned the doctor. After getting checked over, a follow up xray was ordered. The results were not good. The "infiltrates" which showed in his lungs on Wednesday have shown progression - they are more in his lungs than on Wednesday. This confirms has developed pneumonia, and it was getting worse.

This resulted in Scott being transferred to ICU in order to perform a bronchoscopy (sp?). He was sedated with a local, and the procedure was performed. This is the scope which is ran into his lungs with a tiny camera and a means to take a sample of what is in there. The results have been ordered on an expedited manner, but we aren't sure when they will actually be received.

Stephanie was made to leave the room, and this distressed Scott greatly, as he was awake when they made her leave. Afterward, we went back in to a a struggling kid. He was fighting coughing, half under and it was heartbreaking.

He is now on a laundry list of medications. Ones for viral pneumonia. One for fungal pneumonia and I honestly don't know what else. Seems he's getting a different drug every 30 minutes. It is all very hard to keep up with, and we probably don't want to know what they all are anyway. Scott is being a gamer tonight, but is very scared. He's been sitting in the chair in the room for several hours. He is now refusing the bed. We believe he is scared if he lies down, he won't get up. Sitting up is always better than lying flat, so he's conscious of that fact.

We did ask him if he remembered the procedure, and thankfully he did not. The doctors in the room said he told them about his brother, hockey and video games. So whatever they used to zone him out worked thankfully.

This is going to be a long hospital stay. Likely at least a couple of weeks we've been warned. Scotty remains in ICU tonight to be monitored closely and get all the prescribed drugs right on schedule.

We remained worried sick and scared.


Sandie said...

We are worried sick and scared for you. Please know we are thinking of you, praying for you and keeping positive thoughts. I wish there was more we could do.

Lots of love to you all.

Proud Momma of 3 said...

Sending you lots of hugs and butterfly kisses, Scott!!! I am so sorry that you are so sick and feeling horrible. I am anxiously awaiting the next post and hoping for better news. Hang in there!! Stephanie, if you need me for anything please don't hesitate to call me.

Thinking of all of you,

Mary Lynn