Scott & Sunny

Scott & Sunny

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Boggy Creek

On Friday afternoon we headed off to Camp Boggy Creek. We knew Scott may struggle with the food at camp so we made a quick pit-stop at our favourite Irish chipper/pub, ‘Raglan Road’ at Downtown Disney to bulk him up a bit first. Not for our benefit of course, we don’t like chipper chips. LOL!

So after a bit of a drive through the boonies we get there and check in and are met by our helper/babysitter/playmate for the weekend. Nick is a medical student and a camp volunteer and was wonderful. We all loved him but Scott especially, he followed Nick all weekend long and together they danced and sang their little hearts out. Derry really enjoyed Nicks company too but there was no way he was going to do any of that embarrassing “gay” stuff. No siree.

Each family were staying in a lodge that would accommodate 8 kids during the summer week long camp. It was basically a dormitory, very simple but very impressive too. Also, there was a handmade teddy bear and a crocheted blanket on the bed for each of the boys, a real nice touch! The standard of workmanship gone into building every part of Boggy Creek was incredible. Beautiful buildings and grounds, absolutely no expense spared. Boggy Creek was founded by Paul Newman and Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf about 10 years ago (I think) and they sure made a perfect job of it.

Friday evening was spent eating, singing and dancing and getting to know Nick. There were about 30 families staying for the weekend and every family had a helper. I wasn’t sure about the idea at first, I’m not one for having someone in my personal space but he just blended right in and I’m so grateful we had him around. He wasn’t intrusive at all and neither did I have any doubts about him spending time with the boys, I don’t know how he did it really; he naturally became part of “us” for the weekend.

Everyone was sent to bed about 10pm as Saturday was going to be busy, busy, and busy.
However we were awoken in the middle of the night (7.30am Sat.); Nick was at our door to pick up the boys to go canoeing!

As expected Saturday was busy and lots of fun. Derry and I went kayaking and he very nearly tipped us over into the pond. I had asked earlier about alligators, hoping to be told there were absolutely no gators at Boggy Creek. They said “they hadn’t spotted any RECENTLY”. Aaargh! Also last summer a black bear had been seen prowling around camp! Awesome!

Anyway it’s getting really late now and I want to go to bed so I’ll post this and some photos. (My pictures really dont do Camp Boggy Creek justice, for one thing my camera is rather 'dodgy' but also much of what the boys did they did just with Nick, either because we couldnt keep up with them or we were attending the adult 'stuff'). David can fill you in some more on the rest of our stay and on his thoughts of camp.

Boggy Creek is a wonderful place, the camp leaders were very professional and ‘kid-friendly’ and we really hope we can go back soon and maybe, oooh I hope so, catch a glimpse of a real life teddy bear!!

We also hope to see Nick again. It was sad to say goodbye.








5 comments:

Dawn said...

Haven't got the time to read this post properly at the moment - I'll do that later. But looking at the photo's it seems you must have had a fantatic time. Nail varnish? Never mind I'll read it tonight!
Take care.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great place. Sure sounds and looks like you all had fun! :0) Stephanie, you were very brave to go out in the kayak... no alligators recently... that's just too creepy for me. Have a great week!

christine said...

wonderful to have a 'fun' blog - looks like you all had the best of times and I love the coloured (english spelling) hair. Look forward to more photos and Davids view of it all. What about getting Derry or Scott to put down their thoughts as well?
love to all
Mum/nana

Piper said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. Did anyone snap a photo of your after you got tipped in the pond? I'd pay a fair price for that. I love Scott with the purple hair!

Lots of love to you all
xoxoxoxo
S.

Laura said...

What great pictures! It sounds like a wonderful weekend. :) I'm so glad to see Scott full of smiles.
I'm glad you liked the Birthday mug Stephanie - you may be a crazy cat lady like myself, but you are NOT old! I do hope you had a great Birthday.
Happy Saint Patrick's Day to one and all! Glory went to school so excited today waiting to hear if any leprichans caused mischief for anyone. I guess one boy claimed a leprichan put all the fruit in his house on the toilet! Glory found that hillarious! I hope you all had a great St. Patrick's Day, leprichan free and full of fun. :)
Sending Smiles, Angel Laura